Agios Nikolaos Fragopidima convent is at Vounargo village in Eils, 12km north of Pyrgos, at an altitude of 280m. The convent was founded in 1200.
The name “Fragopidima”, according to tradition, comes from the years of the Ottoman empire. A Frank was chased by the Turkish soldiers and when he reached the edge of a precipice he preferred jumping off the cliff to surrender. Before jumping, he invoked Saint Nikolas to save him. He was saved and when he returned to the region he built a church dedicated to saint Nikolaos.
Before becoming a convent in 1935, it was a monastery. In 1993 after the earthquake it was renovated and today it has a magnificent catholicon in byzantine order.
Tel: 26210 51312