Aggelokastro is a village of 380 inhabitants located in southeast Corinthia at an altitude of 800m, 38km from the city of Corinth.
The village is built on the south side of mount Politis or Poulageza in an area inhabited since the Neolithic era, as many architectural findings seem to corroborate this view. Its name during antiquity was Ernitheia.
The byzantine era has left its strong mark in the village. Agios Nikolaos church (St. Nicholas) is an example, built in the 10th century, with its magnificent frescoes of 10-12th century. There is also a fortress and its citadel in ruins dated from Angelos Komnenos era.
In the village there are, as well, Agios Panteleimonas church, a small stone church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos, the restored church of Agios Georgios (St. George), the churches of Agios Athanasios, the Agios Dimitrios church, the Agios Nektarios and Kosmas of Aetolia church and the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos (St. John the Baptist), which has a wonderful wooden iconostasis and beautiful icons of byzantine style.
In 1928, the company Marra Mills built their first stone mill. The inhabitants of Aggelokastro are mostly cattle-breeders and farmers.