The small village is 21 kilometres from Sparta, on an altitude of 531 metres, with about 70 residents. In the village is a Museum of Natural History, housed in the old Elementary School.
In Kastri is a Byzantine church called "metochi", architecturally resembling the Agioi Theodoroi of Mistra. The church was the central church of the village, thought destroyed in 1460 by the Turks. A nunnery sits nearby, dedicated to the Zoodochos Pigi, and on the top of the mountain, on a spot with an exceptional view, sits the chapel of Prodoromos the Baptist.