Petrina is a village located in the Laconian region, built on the slopes of mount Taigetos. It has 265 permanent residents, is located 35k to the south of Sparta and 15km to the northeast of Gytheio.
It appears that its founding began during the Medieval times, and it was particularly prosperous during the last years of the Byzantine Empire. However, during the occupation of Laconia by the Turks in 1460, Petrina was destroyed and inhabited by the Ottomans. During the second Turkish Occupation (1715-1821), it was one of the 'Bardounochoria' villages, in which Greeks and Albanian-Turkish people lived together.
Nowadays, the village has a particularly active agricultural cooperative, which mainly produces olive, and also approximately 300 tons of virgin olive oil every year.